Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Seeing Red

Two years ago, the white paint on our front door began to peel revealing the dark grey metal surface underneath. We removed as much of the paint as we could easily peel and planned to scrape the rest off and repaint it. But nothing else happened and the door has been grey with white flakes ever since. Painting the door became one of those "we will get to it soon, but not this weekend"-type projects.

Another home in our neighborhood, very similar to ours, had the same paint-peeling problem. The owners painted their front door red and it looked really nice. I decided that I wanted a red door. David was less than enthusiastic about my color choice but relunctantly agreed on the condition that it would be repainted if it looked bad. He painted the door last week while he was home with the kids during spring break. Every time I'd call and ask him how the door looked, all he would say is, "It's Red."

I remembered hearing that red doors were good luck but didn't know why, so I looked it up on the internet and found out that it's feng shui. According to feng shui, if your front door faces south you are supposed to paint it red. It's weird because there are four homes in my neighborhood with red doors (including mine) and they all face west. What's up with that? Weirder still is that the feng shui colors for west-facing doors are white and grey!

Regardless, I'm happy seeing red.


1 comment:

Sayre said...

I LOVE IT! The red door looks great! We have to replace our door (the old waffly-looking trailer door that came with the house). The stripping down the side is coming off and it looks like trash. I want a steel door, but hadn't gotten much farther than that. I like the red.