Sunday, February 15, 2009

A turkey of a turkey

I had Tofurkey today.

Tofurkey is apparently a combination of tofu and turkey. Tofu and turkey? No wait, that would be a contradiction since it's vegan. Maybe it's tofu that tastes like turkey.

Anyway, I saw a pack in the grocery store yesterday and it looked really good. It was low in fat/calories and high in fiber. I've never had tofu so what the heck, I paid the $3.99 price for what the label said amounted to three servings of 5 slices each. The flavor I bought was Sun Dried Tomato.

The first thing I noticed about Tofurkey after opening the package was that it smelled an awful lot like canned dog food. That was not a good sign. But I decided to give it the benefit of the doubt and taste it. I pulled a piece off one of the very thin slices and took a bite. Not bad. But not great.

For breakfast this morning, I made a sandwich out of 2 of the Tofurkey slices. I toasted the bread and added mustard and tomato.

It was edible but it tasted nothing like turkey. It had no flavor except the fake flavor injected into it. Seriously, I can't understand why anyone likes it.

3 comments:

Sayre said...

I haven't tried tofurkey - but I love tofu!

Anonymous said...

yeah, just the thought of it makes me want to gag. (shudder)

cathryn said...

By my own choice, I have eaten the original Tofurky -- twice -- for Thanksgiving. It's really an awful, awful substitute. There's no excuse for it in this day of pretty-good-fakes.