Wednesday, January 14, 2009

But still

I had the neatest experience the other day.

I read my cousin's blog, as I do daily, and it was about a "quirky" object she owned and would never part with. That "quirky" object was a silver drinking cup given to her by her grandfather who had originally received it from the famous playwright Harold Pinter, who recently died.

My cousin's grandfather is famous too. His name is Paul Rogers and he is British. His first wife married my mother's father. Confused? He is my step grandfather once removed by all logical purposes... not actually related.

I have heard about Paul Rogers since I can remember but have never met, much less seen a picture of the man. Still it's a very cool feeling to know that someone who is sort of step-related to me is famous!

Famous for doing plays... or so I always thought.

I was reading my cousin's blog and she included a clip of him in the movie "The Homecoming," (1973), which was also a Broadway play.

It was too much. Finally, I had a chance to see what he looked like and how exciting is that!! I watched the clip with the same anticipation of a child sneaking out to get her Christmas stocking in the middle of the night.

After I saw the clip I had to show it to my coworkers, one of whom had actually taken a class about Harold Pinter when she was in college. I felt so proud showing him off, which is totally weird since he doesn't even know I exist.

But still.

I then Googled his name and found out that he has appeared in many movies, with many classic stars such as Laurence Olivier, Catherine Zeta-Jones [okay, work with me], Anthony Hopkins, Peter Finch, Liv Ullman, Rod Steiger, Anthony Quinn, David Janssen, Dame Judi Dench, Peter Ustinov, Terence Stamp, John Hurt, Stuart Whitman, Burl Ives, Maureen O'Hara.

OMG!!! Do I need to keep going???

I wish I could meet him just once. Just to ask him about his experiences. How great they must be. How great. But he is about 92 now and in England and has no clue who I am so I know that will never happen.

But still.

3 comments:

cathryn said...

OK, so is your cousin my cousin too? And who is paul rodgers and how is he related to me?

Liane Michel said...

Yes she is also your cousin. Actually step cousin.

Her grandmother (Jocelyn) married our grandfather Harry. Paul Rogers was Jocelyn's first husband so he is not related step or any other way to us.

Sayre said...

Grandpa was quite the man in acting circles - but he never got the popular recognition that folks like Peter Ustinov or Ian Holm got. He is mentioned in Ustinov's book, "Dear Me" though.

As far as he was concerned, it was a living. A pretty good one at that. I don't know that he remembers much of it anymore. Apparently he's much more in tune with his boy scouting days now. Great adventures!