Thursday, April 09, 2009

What I know

In 46 years I've learned that

It doesn't matter how old I am, I still feel like I did when I was young. My mind is aging beautifully but my body isn't.

The lyrics "All that I feel is the realness I'm faking," (Shattered, OAR) are pretty darn true.

No matter how much I explain... or talk about... or protest... or threaten... my children are never gonna pick up after themselves while they live with me.

There are people in this world who have no clue what a Datsun B210 is; much less a pop top.

You can win the hearts of others with humor.

You can get what you want by making scary changes.

I am smarter than I give myself credit for.

Adolesence is harder on the parent. It is.

2 comments:

Sayre said...

Hear, hear!!! I agree totally!

When my grandma turned 80, I asked her what it was like. She said that every morning, she wondered who that old woman was in her mirror. Because while her outside was 80, her inside was still 16. Mostly, she said, it's frustrating.

I'm trying to train ZBoy early in that picking up thing. Limited success, so far. I'm hoping that if I can ingrain it before he hits double digits (at the end of the month), we might have an easier adolescence.

Liane Michel said...

Good luck with that! I had Jason's adolescence all planned out, but it's not working out the way I thought it would. LOL!