Friday, June 16, 2006

My "Mac Daddy" Bathroom

Our master bath has finally been reformed. It's not complete yet but it's getting there. One of the previous owners thought that green and brown checked wallpaper, along with black wrought iron hardware and gold light fixtures, would look good. I hated it from the minute we moved in.

After living with this decor for a couple years, I decided to remove the wallpaper and paint the walls or do something creative with them. The wallpaper was not installed correctly anyway and portions had begun to peel. And it didn't help that Jessica had ripped off some of the loose portions exposing the white wallboard underneath which made it look even uglier (if that was possible).

Jessica was eager to help and I figured we could remove the wallpaper in a weekend, tops. Boy was I wrong. The paper came off in 1/2 to 1 inch pieces. Some areas had no glue and others had tons of glue. We got about half the room done over a month-long period; Jessica doing most of it.

When we began getting the house ready to sell, David suggested we just pay someone to come remove the paper and then install new paper rather than trying to smooth out the walls (remember this is mobile home and the walls are not like in a house). It ended up costing almost $500 but it was worth it! We also replaced the mirrors and light fixtures (which I also hated). I still want to replace the flooring and install new cabinet pulls and towel bars. It's going to be a "mac daddy" bathroom when it's complete!

Here are before/after shots (yes, I know there's a light out in the last picture, we ran out of lightbulbs).







1 comment:

Sayre said...

Thanks for the pictures. I was having a hard time picturing what you were talking about when you came to visit. I was thinking that your mirrors were like the one I had - a gigantic, half-the-wall-sized thing that's a b**** to clean (I have to crawl up on the sink to reach).

THe new do looks good. What are you going to do on the floor? DId you tell David about the wood-look vinyl in our kitchen?