Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Soccer musings

The World Cup is the big deal around our house this month. We've watched almost every game and I'm considering taking off Thursday morning to watch USA's game. If USA loses they go home. We are all into soccer except for Jessica; but she tolerates it (and us) with good humor.

Football was the thing when I was growing up. I HATED it and, to make matters worse, it seemed like it was on all the time. I don't want Jessica to become bitter about soccer the way I am about football. So far she's indifferent. She'll just go do something else.

Jason began playing soccer when he was 7 or 8. Before that, I never really payed attention to the game. Soccer is definitely in Jason's blood. He has incredible talent and potential. Jessica has the talent too, but she doesn't have the interest. She played for one season and did very well. And, when playing around the house, she'll take the ball from Jason every time. It's so funny to watch him do all these fancy footwork moves with the ball and then Jessica will just stick her foot out and take the ball from him.

2 comments:

Sayre said...

So... did you take Thursday off? Corky and I were working at the old house but paused to watch USA lose to Ghana. Good game, sorry we lost, but we sure did have lots of opportunity to score that we didn't manage to take. That penalty hurt too...

Liane Michel said...

Yes, it was pretty disappointing. I had to leave the room for the last 5 minutes of the game!