Sunday, August 17, 2008

Thoughts of pink

School starts tomorrow and, in true fashion, I waited until today to take Jessie shopping for school clothing. Her wardrobe consists of short shorts, mini skirts, tight-fitting shirts, tanks with thin straps, and pants with the knees ripped out.

She is starting a school that has a rather strict dress code. No shorts or skirts shorter than six inches above the knee when kneeling on a table (and believe me they measure!), no spaghetti strap tanks, and no pants with rips. Don't get me started on the boys' restrictions. I remember them well from when Jason began his sixth grade year.

Oh well, the point is that she has nothing that meets this criteria, which is mainly because her friends don't dress that way, which is mainly because the stores don't sell clothing that meets this criteria. Shorts are mini, skirts are mini, tanks straps are mini, and some jeans have rips. Okay, she ripped out the knees of her jeans, but that IS in style now.

We went to Target and found some items. Not much though. She began gravitating toward shirts. I explained that she needed bottoms, not tops. We ended up with a pair of Bermuda shorts that were brown and pink, a brown polo, and a pink polo. Okay, I know I'm a sucker.

Next we went to Walmart. They had nothing at first glance. The girls department looked like it had been wiped out by some plague. Surely there had to be something suitable; something that met the dress code criteria.... but all the shorts were too short, all the skirts were too short, and all the tanks had thin straps that were too thin.

The items I did happen to find that met the criteria were all pink for some strange reason. I suggested a camouflage pair of Capris that were pink.

Nope.

I suggested a solid pair of Capris that were light pink.

Nope.

"Nothing pink, Mom! I'll tell you when I find something I like."

Enough said. I shut my mouth. I followed her around and reminded her of her size, when she found items that were way too small or large. She soon found a brand of jeans that she liked., and there were a variety of shades (styles) so she picked three different pairs and tried them on. They all fit.

Then we went to look for tennis shoes. The very first pair she spotted she loved. They were black and pink. Really cute. We found her size and tossed them into the buggy.

As they settled into the buggy, I couldn't help but notice that there was pink in the shoe. Come to think of it, previously she had tossed in a lunchbox that was pink and convinced me she needed it because her old one had broken. And come to think of it, she wants her bedroom walls to be painted pink.

Yet, she didn't like any of the pink items I suggested.

1 comment:

Sayre said...

Uh-oh... teen-dom is coming on FAST!