Friday, August 01, 2008

Arachnophobia?

I had a visitor with me on my trek to work and back today. A banana spider. At least I think it was a banana spider. It's some kind of large spider... and I don't like large spiders.

My yard has several of them right now. They build their webs everywhere, which I am not pleased about, but as long as they stay out of my way, I don't mess with them.

Jessica displaced one the other day. He had set up his home near the carport about a month before. I noticed that he wasn't in his web one day and wondered what happened to him.

Well, he went directly across the carport and built a web over the wicker couch swing. However, he was displaced from there toot-sweet because Jessie uses that swing a lot. He then proceeded to build his web on the other side of the carport next to my car. Well that was an unacceptable location so I gently moved him from there into the bushes.

This morning as I was traveling on I-10, doing 65, I happened to look in my rear view mirror and noticed a banana spider barely hanging on to the top of my back window. The only thing holding him on from what I could tell was some spider web. He was flapping in the breeze and I was amazed he had held on so long.

The next time I looked in my rear view mirror, he was gone. I figured he blew away. After all it's hard to hold on when you are in 65mph winds.

I went to work. Parked. Went to lunch. Parked. Left work. Went to Publix.

On the way to my car with my purchase, I was walking next to a couple who were just slightly ahead of me. As I approached my car, the woman began walking toward my car with a look of fascination. I was wondering what exactly she was doing looking at my car.

I soon saw what she had spied. It was the banana spider on the back of my car... and I mean the side back. Right near the key hole to open the trunk. He was so completely still that I wasn't even sure if he was alive. By the way, it's hard to tell in the picture, but that spider is about 3 inches long from leg tips.



I was amazed that this spider was still around and I told the woman my story about being on I-10. She left and then came back with her husband. Then another couple showed up to look at it.

Seeing the spider actually made an impression on them. One guy started talking animatedly about a "pet" spider he once had, and we all listened and commented. It was really neat to see strangers come together to discuss something as odd as the spider on my car like that.

I left Publix and drove home. I thought surely he would have blown off, but he didn't. I gently removed him from my car and placed him in some bushes FAR away from my car.

Jessica thinks this spider is a stalker.

I am curious to see where he will settle this time.

On another note. Jessica made very good progress with the wallpaper removal. Take a look at the current status:

2 comments:

Sayre said...

Amazing spider story! Miraculous that she was still alive after all of that.

So, does Jessie paint too? If you play your cards right, she might do the whole house for you!

cathryn said...

Awww, that's sweet that you don't kill them. I wouldn't do that either, but my mom on the other hand....

Nice to be back, reading your blog entries.