Saturday, April 01, 2006

Bring back the humans

Have you ever used one of those self-service checkouts? I absolutely hate them. Every time I try to use one, it messes up and I have to end up getting a human to come fix it for me.

Today Jessica and I were in Home Depot and when we got to the checkout area, I noticed a change. Home Depot has done away with human cashiers and installed four self-service checkouts. Well, there was one human cashier, but the line waiting to get to her was a mile long.

I didn't want to stand in line for an hour, so I reluctantly scanned my first item. The computer voice told us to place the item in the "bagging" area. Jessica placed the item in the bag. The computer voice told us to remove the item from the "bagging" area, so she did—even though we had other items to place in the bag. Then I tried to scan the second item. It wouldn't scan. The computer voice told us to place the first item BACK in the "bagging" area.

This happened a few more times and, just as I was about to lose my temper, the human troubleshooter standing nearby came running over to help. He said, all you have to do is remove the item; so he did. The computer again told us to place the item back in the "bagging" area. He looked as puzzled as I felt. I asked him why they did away with human cashiers and he mumbled something to the effect that they're trying to keep up with Walmart.

I was eventually able to complete the transaction, but instead of saving time, it actually took longer AND ended up involving a human. Is it me? I think I'm pretty techno-savvy, but I just can't deal with this stuff.

Bring back the humans.

1 comment:

Sayre said...

Yikes! And I was thinking of switching from Lowes to Home Depot. Maybe not. Lowes still has humans (at least for now).

I have the same issues with using the self-checkouts at the grocery stores. They want stuff in the bagging area really quickly or else the computer starts "yelling" at you over and over to do it. Trouble is, the bagging area is way too small to get stuff in there quickly and if you remove something in the area to make room for the next bag, the computer goes crazy.

Unfortunately, the humans aren't much better in that particular store....