Monday, April 10, 2006

Glasses, cleats, phones, oh my!

This past Saturday we went to Panama City for a soccer play date. Jason had two games, both of which his team won. After game one, we went to Taco Bell for lunch. As we are sitting there eating David said to me, "Did you get my glasses off the car?" I looked at him with disbelief (keep reading and you'll know why) and said, "Why would I do that?" We looked at each other realizing what probably had happened. David had laid his sunglasses on the hood of the car and driven off with them there. We knew that, even if we were able find them, they would probably be smashed beyond repair. After lunch, we drove back to the same area where we parked. As we approached the parking lot, we saw a small brown object on the gravel road. It looked too small to be his glasses case, but it was. He jumped out of the car and picked it up. It had definitely been run over. As he pried the case open, we looked at each other expecting to see pieces of glass and metal, but the glasses were unharmed. What a miracle!

This wasn't so funny when it happened, but in hind sight it is because David has a history of leaving objects on the car and driving off with them. Last year, he left his office cell phone on top of the Jeep at a play date in Thomasville. We were almost out of town before he realized he didn't have it. We turned around and headed back for the fields positive that the phone was lost forever or, at very best, smashed to pieces. When we got back to the fields we couldn't find the phone anywhere and it wasn't in the lost and found, so we headed back for home looking along the street as we drove. Ironically we found the phone in the middle of the road right were we had turned around. It had been run over several times and was unusable but David took it with him anyway to give to his boss.

At another soccer tournament, he put Jason's cleats on top of the Jeep and I actually drove to and from Walmart (at least 2 miles) before realizing they were up there. Thank God they didn't fall off because we were inbetween games and there wouldn't have been time to get replacement cleats.

The funniest time for me was when we were at a game in Thomasville and David put Jason's socks on the Jeep roof to dry out. I drove to get lunch and, as I was sitting a traffic light, the man behind me got out of his car and came up to my window and said, "Excuse me, miss but did you know you have socks on your roof?" I was embarrassed, but thankful they hadn't blown away.

And there have been other instances that I won't mention. If I could only cure him of this!

1 comment:

Sayre said...

My giggle for the day!

And of course, since both of us are vertically challenged (and our husbands are not), we probably don't see half of the stuff they put UP somewhere. For some reason, MY husband thinks I can see what's on top of the refridgerator.