Saturday, April 15, 2006

The Day Goodwill Exploded

Today was turning out boring. Jessica was off playing at a friend's house and David and Jason were out getting haircuts. So when David and Jason got home I decided to go out by myself. I ended up at the Goodwill on Capital Circle NE.

I found some really cute shirts for Jessica and was looking through more shirts when I heard a loud BOOM, then a softer boom. I thought someone had overturned a shelf or something. I made my way toward the cash register to see what had happened. As I neared, I heard another boom and then saw flames. People began screaming and a man started yelling "Get out now! Everybody out!" Kids were screaming and crying as their parents dragged them toward the front of the store. I started to run also, still carrying the shirts. As I was running I noticed the woman in front of me running with clothing and wondered if she was going to run out the door with them. I was also wondering what to do with the ones I had, so I left them on a shelf as I exited the store. It's amazing how much can go through your mind in a few seconds. I guess there's something to the saying, "I saw my life flash before my eyes."

Anyway, it turned out that a car had crashed through the side of the building into the cash register area, apparently taking out the electrical box in the process. Outside the transformer was exploding and everyone was running. When the transformer calmed down I walked closer to look at the car sticking out of the building. The driver of the car must have really layed on the gas pedal to make it over the concrete parking barrier and through the wall (and uphill to boot).

I walked back to the front of the store and noticed someone helping a frail old lady out of the store. She could barely walk and was clutching her chest. At first I thought she may have been "stampeded" by the escaping customers, but later found out she was the cashier. The car must have pushed her into the counter as it came through the wall. After a couple of minutes two fire trucks and two ambulances arrived and most of the people left. They placed the cashier on a stretcher and loaded her into the ambulance. I don't think she was seriously hurt. I hope not.

I stayed around for a few more minutes hoping I would be able to go back in to buy the shirts. I know they won't be there next time I go.

1 comment:

Sayre said...

You may not think so, but I have ALWAYS said that you must live one of the weirdest and interesting lives going at the moment. If it's not wildlife marching through your house, it's exploding buildings....