Thursday, April 27, 2006

For Sale?

Every day, on my way to and from work, I pass by a row of small, older houses across from Alumni Village. There's nothing especially noticable about these houses other than the occasional "For Sale" or "For Rent" sign and, anyway, I'm usually thinking about other things.

A couple of weeks ago, on my way home, I noticed some items placed near the curb of one of the houses: a mirror sitting on a chair, a pair of crutches, and few other items. In the split second it took me to pass by, I figured they must have been set out for the garbage truck. As I drove on, I began thinking about them. I wasn't sure they were garbage because they weren't in a pile and they weren't right next to the curb the way garbage would be. Rather, they were placed in a line.

The next morning the items were gone. "The garbage truck must have come," I thought as I passed by. That afternoon, the items were back, lined up in the same way. The next morning they were gone. I thought it was strange that the items kept appearing in the afternoon; they obviously weren't trash. I deduced that they must be for sale, but there wasn't a "For Sale" sign and nobody was sitting around as if it was a garage sale.

Days have gone by like this and each time I pass by, I notice something new has been added or taken away. Two days ago, there were clothes hanging from trees. Today, there were clothes hanging from street signs.

I still haven't seen anyone and I still haven't seen a sign. It's weird.

1 comment:

Sayre said...

One of the houses down our way occasionally sets furniture or bikes or various other items out in the front yard. After a couple of days a sign appears that says "Free Items". After the sign appears, the stuff usually lasts about a day, then it's gone.

I wonder if your pseudo-garage sale is being put out by someone who can't read or write?

How were exams?