Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Cell-out

I did it.

I have become one of the millions.

One of the millions who have a "cell" phone.

Okay, I have had a cell phone for several years... a prepaid one. I bought it when I went to New York City the first time. It made sense to make calls on it rather than pay the outrageous hotel fees, plus I would have something for emergencies.

I have been using this phone for 4 years now. At first, I never used it. But as time went by, it was convenient to have.

Really convenient.

I would be in Publix and need to ask a question about something and I would be able to just call home and ask... No second-guessing.

Over time, my need to use it increased. I had it on in the car after work so the kids could call. I had it on when I went anywhere away from the kids.

I found myself adding $10 every week. I finally had to ask myself... "What is the point in having a prepaid cell phone that costs almost as much as a 'real' cell phone?"

In addition, the kids had been harping on me to get their own cell phone. And they were relentless in their pursuit.

You don't need one, I would say over and over, like a broken record. My logic was unheard however. According to them, it wasn't fair. All of their friends had a cell phone. It's true, unfortunately, but that doesn't mean I will cave and get them one.....

Until yesterday.

I went to Sprint. David has his cell with Sprint and is very happy. I went down there with the intention of getting myself a phone... myself only.

But after about 15 minutes, I ended up getting the kids a phone.... I broke down and got the FAMILY plan.

God help me, I caved..... but the kids are so happy. And I am happy too, I have to admit.

The phones are all alike, except for the color. Mine is blue, Jessie's is pink, and Jason's is black.

I can see the value of them having a phone now. God, I am SO brainwashed I know. But I can see it.

1 comment:

Sayre said...

ZBoy is already asking when he can have one. I would like to say NEVER!!!! but I am more sane than that. Having resisted the cell phone myself for so long, I'm still getting used to the idea of having one for ME! DM has one too and (God help me) they are truly useful tools when you have a family that goes every which way.