Sunday, September 16, 2007

Bite the bullet

I have got to get a dryer. My dryer died a few months ago and I have avoided making a decision about whether to have it repaired (new motor) or to buy a new one or to buy a used one. So in the interim, I have been using a clothesline in the back yard.

I don't really mind hanging out the clothes actually, except for the times I did and went somewhere and it rained (that has happened twice) or the fact that I cannot just do laundry whenever I want... I have to wait for sun! The problem is that don't have enough line to hang everything any more and there is no where else to put line.

My back yard looks like a danger zone as it is already and I am sure the neighbors are less than thrilled. There is clothesline strung over every available inch of usable space, zig zagging in every direction. I have to be careful not to decapitate myself when I am mowing.

Today, as I was hanging out my second load, I ran out of line. I began to think about what was different. Why did I run out of room? I still had two loads left to wash.

Then I noticed that the majority of the clothes belonged to Jessica... way more clothes than she would wear a week, so I decided to count them. She had 16 shirts and 10 pants/shorts/skirts for one week! When is she wearing all these clothes?

If I had a dryer, I wouldn't have to deal with lack of space to hang clothes, or rain, or embarrassing my children because my underwear is viewable out the back door.

It's time to just bite the bullet and get a dryer.

1 comment:

Sayre said...

I hear you, but I have to say, I'm trying to hang out MORE clothes and use the dryer less. It is a huge electricity hog and my utility bill is WAY out of hand. We're cutting back on the AC too. At least the worst part of summer is over.