Monday, February 26, 2007

Birthday

Last Thursday was the 15th anniversary of my 29th birthday. To celebrate I didn't do anything different than any other day. The morning went smooth getting the kids ready for school except we did have a slight problem with Spot.

Spot does not like to go out unless it's his idea and he will do anything he can to avoid it. While Jason was busy terrorizing Stinky with a homemade paper popper, I let Spot out (his idea). That was too easy I thought to myself as I focused on getting a cringing Stinky out from under my bed and scolding Jason for sending him there. As I put Stinky out the back door, Spot ran back in and it took the three of us a good five minutes to get him and put him out.... but not without first having to chase him from one end of the house to the other. First he ran underneath the coffee table, then, as Jessica closed in on him, he jumped onto the back of the couch. From there he ran down the hall and under my bed (his usual hiding place), but I was too quick and was able to shoo him out before he got too far underneath. From there he ran back down the hall toward the living room as I was yelling to Jessica to close all the doors! With Jason on his heels, he bounded into the living room, running around the perimeter a few times before hurdling the couch and dodging right past Jason who was trying his best to block the hallway entrance with his body. But Spot quickly discovered the doors were closed and proceeded back towards the living room. This time I was ready and scooped him up. After a few meows of protest, he was gently tossed out the door and we all breathed a sigh of relief. I'm sure he had a smile on his face as he reflected on what he just put three humans through and I fully expected to find a pile of cat poop as a token of his displeasure.

The highlight of my birthday was going to soccer practice that evening. We go usually even though Jason is unable to practice since I'm the treasurer and Jessica likes to play with her friends. Gives me some adults to talk to also. Anyway, I was sitting talking with a friend and got beaned in the forehead with a soccer ball traveling approximately 90 MPH. I was okay, other than a slight headache, but the woman sitting next to me got hit by the same ball on the side of her face... ouch!

Update on Laurie
She is out of the hospital... released on my birthday. I talked to her on Saturday. She sounded in good spirits and, best of all, sounded like herself, i.e., not like she'd been drinking. I hope this was a wake up call for her.

1 comment:

Sayre said...

Man, I hope Laurie is going to be okay...

SO... your birthday sounds exciting! 'Bout like mine. I've been celebrating the joys of drug sensitivities with steriod shots, oatmeal baths, and hydrocorisone creams. I'll be back at work when I can wear clothes again...