Monday, February 19, 2007

Laurie

Laurie is in the hospital.

I knew this day was gonna come.

I prepared myself for it over and over. But I wasn't prepared.

She has pancreatitis, which is an inflamation/infection of the pancreas. She already has liver problems and she's an alcoholic. Not a good combination.

She's apparently been ill for a while. Bradley (her boyfriend) and his family (whom they live with) had been trying to get her to go to the doctor for months. But she wouldn't. Stubborn.

She progressively worsened to the point of not being able to hold any food down; could barely talk, barely walk. They said she hadn't had a drink in a week.

She was admitted to the hospital sometime Saturday night after midnight. Daddy called me yesterday morning to tell me she was in ICU. He had no real information, only what Bradley's sister Beth could tell him which wasn't much. They are not family, so the hospital would not release any information to them until permission was obtained from Laurie and a "passcode" issued.

I got Beth's number from him and immediately called her. She told me the same thing, nothing really. I got the hospital number from her. She told me the hospital would not give me any information over the phone without permission but I called anyway.

I found out that Laurie was not in ICU, but CCU instead (critical care unit). Not sure if that's better or worse. I was transferred to the waiting room. After going through the whole spiel of how I was her sister and was in Florida and she had no family up there, only her boyfriend and his family, the lady said she couldn't do anything because she was in the waiting room and I would need to talk to a nurse. Can you transfer me to the nurses station? No ma'am.

So I hung up and called back. This time I reached the nurses station but they wouldn't tell me anything. Someone had to physically visit Laurie and talk to the nurse about getting a passcode. Bradley and his other sister Kim were already on their way to visit her. Laurie would have to give permission for her information to be released to Bradley. So I hung up and waited.

I finally heard from Kim and got the passcode. I called and spoke with a nurse and found out she has pancreatitis. She was severely dehydrated and was being given intravenous fluids and pain medication... resting. I was unable to talk to her so I left a message with the nurse and asked her to please let Laurie know that I called and that we knew what was happening.

I know this a treatable thing and she'll be okay. But it's gonna happen again. She's not going to stop drinking. Stubborn.

I'm preparing myself for it. But I won't be prepared.

1 comment:

Sayre said...

OMG! At least they finally got her to go to the hospital. Poor Laurie. Unfortunately, as we have learned from the past, there's not much that can be done for her. She has to do it herself - and it doesn't look like she will. One can only hope that this will be a wake-up call.