Sunday, August 26, 2007

Small world

Today I went to Target to get Jason's school supplies.

On my way to the checkout line, I ran into a former neighbor of mine from the neighborhood I lived in before separating. I actually went to high school with her, although we were not close back then; nor were we close when I lived there, but we would speak now and then.

We stopped to talk to each other... me telling her about the separation and my move with the kids; she introducing me to her husband and offering her sympathies to a broken marriage.

Talk got around to the sale of the home. She asked if I minded telling her how much it sold for, so I did. I didn't mind because everyone who owns homes in that neighborhood is curious to know what sells for what. That way when the time comes for them to sell, they will know how price their homes.

I told her about all the heartache we went through trying to get a real offer on the place and that the woman who bought it was very excited about it.

Just as I was telling them that the buyer had put in all new appliances, I heard someone say my name. I turned around and saw a woman with a shopping cart.

I looked at her trying to recognize who it was but before I had a chance to really see her, she said, "I don't know if you remember me, but I am the woman who bought your home."

I had only met her once, and that was at closing.

I started laughing and said that I was just telling them (my old neighbor and her husband) about you.

What a small world.

1 comment:

Sayre said...

Oh, my!!!! That is a weird and interesting set of circumstances!

We see our former owner from time to time - she comes and visits the guy across the street. Hope she doesn't mind that I took her boxwoods out!