Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Cutting edge

I have finally mowed the lawn.

It's a big deal to me. I never had to mow lawns.... well save one time when I was around 15. I had to mow the lawn and broke out in a rash. THANK GOD for that!!! I used that excuse up until yesterday. "Can't mow the lawn; makes me break out in a rash. Seriously, you can ask my mom."

But I am on my own now. I am an adult. I am a grown up. I need to learn to do for myself. That's one of the reasons for separating right? Hell yes.

So I get the lawnmower in the "settlement", mainly because he has no where to keep it and why not have it here? I can use it for sure! I have to keep up the yard.

The problem is that I am... well was.... afraid of the lawnmower. David showed me how to use it.... where to move the throttle, make sure it has gas, etc. No problem. Except when I went to start it.

I was gonna start it up and mow. Show everyone. I can mow!! I proudly wheeled the lawn mower out of the garage and into the yard. I pulled the cord.... ripped the cord...... I don't know, but I could NOT get the motor to turn. I was embarrassed that I couldn't get it to start so I wheeled it back into the garage and promptly decided to think about that problem later.

Well later turned into yesterday. The yard was overgrown and was getting worse. David had mowed the front yard a couple weeks prior so it was not as thick. But the rest of the yard... side and back... was very thick. Yes I know you are probably thinking at this point well WHY was David mowing my yard? Well in my defense, he did it while I was working out. He came over when I was gone to my work out and when I got back, he was mowing. That's the type of guy he is. But I digress.

So I was NOT gonna ask David to mow my lawn. No, it was my responsibility. Either I pay someone to do it or figure out how to start that mower.

I decided that I was going to start the mower because I am not any different than any other woman who I have EVER seen mowing the lawn.. well, different except for the fact I have never mowed.

I got gas in the can and poured it into the lawnmower. I needed a funnel so I created one from a water bottle that Jessie uses to "cook" with outside. I filled the tank. I pulled the cord as hard as I could. Nothing. I pulled again. Nothing.

I pulled again, the hardest yet...... and the motor kicked over. It was a sound of joy; a sound of "freedom", if you will. A sound that I KNOW my cousin Sarah will relate to.... In any case, I took off and mowed the crap out of my yard.

I feel so good about myself. I have mastered that lawn mower. The only thing now is that I get Jason used to it because HE is gonna be doing the lawn mowing. I break out in a rash after all.

1 comment:

Sayre said...

It is a triumphant sound, that kicking over of a cranky mower!!! I miss mowing. Darling Man feels like it's "his" job - and that's okay (especially when it's 100 degrees outside!). But I'd like to do it once in a while. Just for fun.

Congratulations on your accomplishment! And good luck getting Jason to take over... You don't have a rash to show him, do you????