Saturday, August 25, 2007

Soccer Saturday

Just in from a very long day in Pensacola. Jason had a play date of two games.

The first game was at noon. It was incredibly hot and sunny with not much of a breeze. Hotter than it has been here in Tallahassee the past few weeks.

I told Kim, our team manager, that it was pretty bad when you went to wipe the sweat off your upper lip with your finger and it stayed sweaty because your finger was sweaty!

I got a big kick out of Kim today. She went to set up her chair umbrella, which has seen better days, and this is what she discovered:



All the umbrella's protective caps were missing, revealing very dangerous looking spiky tines or whatever they are called. Plus the umbrella would open out all the way.

Being the smart ass I am, I had to milk it, I pulled out my camera and made fun of her for a full 10 minutes prior to the game kick off.

Later on during half time, a very young girl, probably three years old, came up to her and asked if she was her grandmother. Kim misunderstood at first and replied that she was not her grandmother and the little girl said, "No, are you her grandmother?" (pointing to Kim's daughter.)

I thought Kim was gonna cry (not really). She was smiling of course and pretending to be offended to me, but I was cracking up. She is younger than me. So I milked that for a long time! She's such a good sport. We laughed about that for a long time.

During the second half of the game it began to rain. The rain cooled things off, which was great, but rain forces us to either retreat to our cars or huddle in our chairs under our umbrellas. So it was raining pretty steady, not a down pour but hard enough, and there we were huddled under our umbrellas... we are hard core soccer moms after all. It was a sight though...there Kim sat huddling under her spiky umbrella that wouldn't open all the way, clutching her team notebook close against her so it wouldn't get wet. It was a pitiful sight indeed.

Of course I was totally cracking up, making fun of her, and I would have taken her picture except Jessica had taken my purse (containing my camera) with her when she retreated to the car.

This is one of the pics I took today. It was so bright that I couldn't tell what I was taking or if they were in focus, but they were for the most part. My camera was on full magnify but still it is not close. That's Jason in the middle in white/red.



We won the first game 2 to 0. We lost the second game 3 to 0. The second game seemed to be much more physical and harder for the boys.

By the time we left Pensacola, I was so tired. It had been a long HOT day and I dreaded the three hour drive home, but we made it... getting home at exactly 8:49 p.m. We had a contest where we predicted the exact minute we would pull into the garage. Jason said 8:48, I said 8:49, Jessie said 8:50. It was 8:48 as I pulled into the driveway, and Jason was doing high fives on himself, but as I entered the garage the clock changed to 8:49. Of course I milked it!

During the drive home, Jessica showed me one of her many talents:

2 comments:

Sayre said...

That's quite a talent Jessie's got... So, sitting out there in the HOT HOT sun with younger mommies is going to be my fate in a few years, huh?

Liane Michel said...

Absolutely. Get ready, it's coming fast.