Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Change will do me good

Okay, it’s a new year and my life is totally changing. For reasons I won’t go into now, David and I have separated—totally my decision but I think it’s somewhat mutual. After 20 years with him, I’m now on my own… well on my own with 2 kids. We’ve moved to a house on a different side of town and the kids will be going to different schools. Much change. Much newness. It’s exciting, it’s scary, it’s sad, it’s awesome.

I have several new year’s resolutions… get my life in order, be a better parent, lose more weight, continue my exercise regimen, blah blah blah…. but the most important resolution I’ve made for 2007 is to chronicle my daily adventures. I will try to write every day, but make no promises.

Since today is actually January 3, I’ll recap my first 2 days…

Jan. 1
Moving day! Sunshine in the forecast (after a wet weekend). Most of the boxed items were already at the new house. We rented a U-Haul to move the big stuff… furniture, washer/dryer etc. That was an adventure in of itself. I reserved a 24-foot van. When we went to pick it up, the U-Haul lady told me it was stick shift. David was okay with stick shift but I could tell he wasn’t thrilled. Why didn’t they mention this when I made the reservation a month earlier? What if we couldn’t drive stick shift? Shame on you U-Haul. After seeing the size of the van, I decided maybe a 17-footer would be better… it was automatic. So we switched. The U-Haul lady wasn’t thrilled since she’d already processed the original order but she was very nice about it.

It rained in the morning but stopped luckily before any serious loading occurred. My cousin Sarah came to help. First she came late because she locked herself out of her house AND her car!! Then she informed me that she was strong enough to lift furniture (and is) but couldn’t grip anything. She was actually a big help but I told her she’d do anything to get out of helping me! David did most of the work... he knew how to move and he just took charge. I felt a little weird that he did most of the work but that’s how he is. He’s a good person… a good man. What man do you know who would actually help his wife move after she told him she didn’t want to be married anymore!

After returning the van, we took David back to the house. He’ll be living there until the place sells. Yes, living there without any furniture except 2 chairs and an entertainment center with TV, DVD player and movies, and an xBox. Sarah took Jessica and me out to lunch at Sonny’s BBQ. It was so good. She has been a miracle for me these last few months. A true friend… she listens to me and buys me food!! I owe her so much.

After lunch, Jessica and I went to the new house. Jason went to spend the night with his friends Sam and Ben. Jessica played in her room while I began unpacking and arranging things. Later we made chocolate chip muffins. It was a good day. Kind of sad, but exciting. I was worried about David being all by himself.

Jan 2
More unpacking. More arranging. Hung some pictures by MYSELF! A small achievement to most, but big for me. I don’t mean just putting a simple nail in the wall. I’m talking about full blown measuring and positioning and leveling. I had become accustomed to having David do things like this for me. All I had to do was tell him where I wanted it and he did the rest. I guess deep down I was scared I wouldn’t do it right, but I did it myself…. I measured twice and cut once so to speak and the pictures are hung!

Went to the old house to get some more things and pick up Jason. Jason has been very resistant to this change. Jessica is more like me. She’s not thrilled with it anymore than he is but she adapts to change quickly. Not Jason. He doesn’t like change at all. New house. New school. Life without seeing daddy every day. Not good for him. I asked him how he liked the furniture arrangement and he grumbled that he hated the house then disappeared into his room to play PSP or something. I worry that he will go deep into a shell or a depression… even worse than his normal teenage brooding. I am determined not to let that happen.

For dinner Jessica and I made spaghetti. Same old way. Hunts canned sauce, cheap hamburger... you know the kind with all the fat but this time with no mushrooms. Jason informed me that it was very good. Kind of surprising given that he always hates whatever we’re having for dinner!

No comments: