Thursday, January 11, 2007

First fire

We had our first fire in the fireplace last night. Jessica had been bugging me to make a fire for days so they could toast marshmallows... but it's been 80 degrees outside. I knew this week would be cool so I promised her we'd do it on Wednesday. I was a little apprehensive because I have no experience with fireplaces and wasn't sure how to tell if the flue was open or even how to open it. But it was all very obvious and easy to figure out!



We got a wire coat hanger and Jason was able to cut it into 2 pieces and they used it to stick the marshmallows on. They had a blast and ate way too many. Jessica had a sugar rush and was bouncing all over the house but it was good times for them. The log was one of those fake ones you can buy from the store. It only cost $1.66 and all you do is just place it on the grate and light it where indicated. The wrapping burns off and acts as the lighter for the log. The log burned for about 2 1/2 hours but didn't not throw much heat.


1 comment:

Sayre said...

Ha! NOW it will let me post! It wouldn't earlier...

I'm scared of our fireplace. The landlord hasn't even cleaned it out and it's FULL of ashes and other miscellaneous stuff. And given the state of the rest of the house, I've gotta wonder when was the last time the chimney was swept...