Friday, January 26, 2007

Here we go again

Another cast

Jason has a broken foot... a tiny fracture near his ankle. The doctor said these types of breaks usually heal quickly but he needs to be in a cast for three weeks. Jason is taking it very well I must say. This cast is not as big, only coming up to just below his knee, and he can walk on it (no need for crutches).

He stepped in a hole during soccer practice (his second day back!) and twisted his ankle. He was in pain of course but after the first couple of days he didn't really complain. He walked home from school as usual (just over a mile) and ran around the house playing with Jessie, so when he complained the next week that he didn't want to go to soccer practice because his ankle hurt, I totally didn't believe him. I basically accused him of using his ankle as an excuse to get out of going. So to practice he went...during an especially grueling week where the boys did a lot of running. And he ran. On Thursday, he basically stood around and played goalie and I knew he was in pain. He told me again that his ankle hurt and that Coach Alex had told him not to come the following week. At that point I checked out his ankle area and it was swollen.

I took him to the doctor the following day. The doctor didn't believe it was broken because he was able to put weight on it, but sent us for x-rays as a precaution. The x-rays were negative for a break so he was then sent for an MRI last Monday to see if any ligaments might be torn. The MRI revealed the tiny fracture.

Boy do I feel like a terrible parent. Jason got to pick his cast color... this time neon orange. I like it better than the red he had previously.

Another door knob

It's been a few weeks since anything has broken around here so I should have seen this coming. Last Sunday I went to open my closet door but the door wouldn't open. The same thing had happened as with the entry closet door handle, except this time the handle turned, the door just wouldn't open. I couldn't believe it. My first thought was that all my clothes were in there and I had nothing to wear. Thank god I keep my pants and some sweatshirts in my dresser. Thank god I didn't put my shoes away on the closet shoe rack as I normally do (otherwise I would have had to wear my fuzzy bedroom slippers to work the next day). Thank god Stinky wasn't napping in there as he often does. Thank god Jessica wasn't playing in there as she often does. I called the management company emergency line and left a message. But it wasn't a true emergency and it was Sunday night so I didn't really expect anyone to come rushing out. I called again the next morning to report it, and when I got home from work the door had been fixed.

There are two other doors in this house that have the same type of door knob... the hall closet and the pantry... and, just as with the light bulbs, I'm fully expecting them to quit working at any time. The other day, the kids were playing hide and seek and Jessica went into the hall closet and closed the door. I panicked and made her get out immediately!

1 comment:

Sayre said...

At least the hunters won't shoot him by accident!